Monday, June 8, 2009

Time for another post

Hi, everybody. It's been way too long since I've posted here. I will probably post a few more times again within the next week or two. What have I been doing? Well, the biggest and best thing is that my girlfriend came down from Chicago for a few days. I wanted to show her that not all of Texas is as ugly as Dallas, so we went to San Antonio for a few days and then stopped in to see some good friends of mine in Austin on the way back to Dallas. We had a fantastic time! I will try to post some pics here sometime soon (although I'm not very good at it just yet, so forgive me if I'm a little slow in doing so).

Grace (my girlfriend) was very impressed with San Antonio. She loved all of the culture, the diversity, and the sense of history and spirituality there. We are both Catholic, so we decided to go to Mass at San Fernando Cathedral...supposedly it's the oldest cathedral in the United States. That was great from a religious and a historical standpoint, as were our trips to the Alamo (remember that it was a church before it was a military institution) and to one of the other four missions (Mission San Jose) in the city.

In addition to the Alamo and the mission, we spent some time on the Riverwalk...San Antonio's crown jewel, which Grace found to be lovely. She enjoyed having some authentic Tex-Mex, and although she was a bit embarrassed, she also thought it was nice and romantic that I had a mariachi band serenade her (in Spanish, no less) at dinner. They said it was a romantic song (and it sounded like one), but my Spanish is terrible, so for all I know they were telling us to go kill a bunch of people...lol!

Our really big excursion, though, was to Sea World...Grace loves whales and dolphins! Other than it being a bit crowded and becoming very hot as the day wore on, we had a fabulous time. We saw most all of the requisite shows with whales, dolphins, etc. The shows were usually very good, but they would have been better without all the humans and the gay music! The animals were spectacular, though...it still amazes me that they can be trained to do such wondrous things. At Sea World, we were joined by our friend Kim, who drove in from Houston. It was good for us all to get together.

Grace and Kim were having a great time with each other, so they decided to go shopping at the massive outlet malls in San Marcos (about halfway between Austin and San Antonio) before driving to Austin to hang with my friends and I there for a bit.

I miss Grace since she's gone back home, and I wish she was still here. Hopefully I will get to go up to Chicago before too long so we can be together again.

That's all for now. If I post again this week, it'll probably be about other things that have been covered on the news lately, such as the tragic disappearance of Air France 447, and the opening of the ginormous Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. Until next time, stay in trouble! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment