Monday, January 11, 2010

So can we give the record back to Roger Maris now?

This should surprise absolutely no one...Mark McGwire has finally admitted that he was a roid monkey for at least part of his career. While I'm glad he finally came clean, I still feel cheated. Like many people, I was captivated by the 1998 battle for the single season home run record that took place between McGwire and Sammy Sosa. I think it's one of the things that saved baseball from at least temporary irrelevancy following the strike that cancelled the World Series back in 1994. Having an official word that it was all a sham really makes me frustrated with McGwire and with MLB, who I believe did nothing to stop this because of ratings.

Sosa and Barry Bonds did steroids, too. Mark my words. Given these things, I hope that MLB does the right thing and gives the single season home run record back to Roger Maris, who, as far as we know, broke the record while taking nothing but vitamins. If MLB won't give the record back to Maris, then there needs to be an asterisk next to McGwire's and Bonds' names, at a minimum.

It's sad that there are no real heroes in the sports world for kids to look up to any more. But all is not lost. Just look at the men and women in our armed forces to find heroes every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment