Friday, April 10, 2009

Support your local independent record stores!

One of my biggest passions is music. I've listened to it and played it (although not very well) my whole life. There have been times that music has really helped me focus, relax, calm down, or appreciate life or another person...all good things in my book.

My musical tastes run the gamut. In my CD collection I've got punk, jazz, blues, pop, country, Tejano, polka, classical, opera, gospel, folk, reggae, and good old rock and roll...as just a sampling. You could say that my musical tastes are eclectic, and independent (I probably couldn't name 80 percent of the music or artists being piped over the radio waves right now).

And what better thing for one with "independent" music tastes to do than to support an independent record store? Yes, I said "record store." They are still out there. You might pay a little more than you would at Best Buy or Camelot Music (are they even still around?) or one of the other big chains, but you'll get personal service and most likely be introduced to bands or musical styles that you otherwise would have never heard of. Several of my favorite musicians were discovered by listening to non-commercial radio or by going into an independent record store and asking for a recommendation. You might even get it on vinyl! (I'm showing my age, aren't I? lol)

Anyway, Record Store Day 2009 is coming up on April 18 (next Saturday). If you're looking to find some new music, why not go to one of your local record stores and give them a try? Chances are you'll walk away satisfied with discovering some new tunes with the help of the personal touch of somebody who works at one of these stores...and they usually know a lot! The link I've provided will give you a list of independent record stores in your area. What have you got to lose? Mark your calendars for next Saturday, April 18. I hope you find a great new musical discovery, and happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment