Saturday, April 11, 2009

"The crucifixion and subsequent resurrection of Christ was not a Mel Gibson movie."

It probably would have been more appropriate for me to post this on Good Friday, but I think it still works here on Holy Saturday. The title of this post is an approximate (and admittedly, paraphrased) quote from a sermon I heard several years ago from a wonderful priest in Texas. I've not seen Mel Gibson's movie called "The Passion of the Christ" beyond a few scenes in a theatrical trailer or in a montage on YouTube. I'm not sure I will ever see it, because I can't bring myself to do so. I understand that it is particularly violent and graphic (perhaps by necessity), and quite realistic. Honestly, it's too much for me to handle. Contemplating Jesus' death is tough enough. I'm not sure I want to see it depicted cinematically. I understand that the last scene, a symbolic prediction of Jesus' resurrection, is quite wonderful and hopeful, though.

I've not always been a religious person, and I have never been and never will be a "perfect" Catholic, but my faith has taken on a deeper meaning to me in recent years, especially after I essentially abandoned it for many years (maybe I'll discuss that in another post some time). On this, the most holy weekend for the entire Christian religion, I reflect on the sacrifice that Jesus made by dying on the cross, and on the joy and hope that comes with his resurrection. Except for when I was a kid, Easter has always been my favorite of the religious holidays. It has virtually none of the commercial trappings of Christmas (a few Easter eggs or bunnies aren't too bad when compared to the craziness known as "holiday shopping season"), but as much or more of a spiritual meaning to me.

My religion teaches that Jesus...God himself...sacrificed his life for all of humanity, and that he was miraculously resurrected "on the third day." To think that anyone would give their life for me is an amazing thing, and it's an idea that I can't even begin to comprehend. If Jesus is who he says he is (and I believe he is), then I owe him my life. Not only for what he did by dying on the cross, but for what he has done for me throughout my life. There have been many times that I should have died, based on all reason and logic. Yet I'm still here. Why? I don't know, but if Jesus and God think that I'm still worth being here, that's good enough for me. As far as the resurrection of Jesus is concerned...this is the one thing in my faith that can make my heart sing louder than at any other time. Jesus was dead, and then he came back to life! And it was all for us, so that we would not have to suffer for eternity! Absolutely awesome to me.

So why the Mel Gibson mention? It's because I hate it when people try to reduce the significance of Easter weekend to pithy arguments, bad music, or even movies that are apparently really good...sometimes for commercial reasons, and sometimes just for the sake of simplicity. The sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus is more than can possibly be depicted by any art form or debate or chocolate bunny or anything else. I'm not saying that all of these things are bad, but as with Christmas, too much of trying to "commercialize" or "simplify" the mystery is not a good thing. What I mean is this...if this is what you believe, don't just observe it at a movie theatre or in a CD player or at a lecture...live it! One of my favorite passages from the Bible is something that I wish that I (and others) would take to heart more. "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad." This passage could not ring any truer than it does for me during this Easter weekend, and that's a great thing!

2 comments: